Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My Miracle

Our Miss Ashtyn got very dizzy about 3 weeks ago.  Dizzy enough that she thought she was going to pass out and she could not walk a straight line.  Bri took her to the Instacare, and they diagnosed an inner ear infection.  When she followed up with her doctor, the doc thought there was nothing wrong with Ash's ears and tested her for neural issues.  She ordered a full spinal and brain MRI and said she couldn't go back to work till she'd been cleared by a neurologist.

In addition to the dizziness, one day last week Ashtyn's hand went numb.  I knew immediately the MRI was to scan for MS, and it made me sick.  To think that our 18-year-old daughter already had such HUGE symptoms was overwhelming and made me sad every time I thought about it.

Last Sunday I was up before the rest of the family, so I picked up the scriptures.  I knew I wanted to read about the Savior, but I didn't know exactly where, so I just opened to the book of Matthew and started reading.  I read many chapters, but when I read the following in chapter 17, it struck my heart deeply:

15 Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatic, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
16 And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
17 Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
18 And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

I read this before Ash went to her doctor and before the MRI was suggested, but I was struck.  A couple of days later, as I worried about our daughter, I had the clear thought that I knew the answer because I'd read it on Sunday.  So on Friday I fasted and prayed.  My prayer was something like, "I'm trying really hard to have the faith to accept thy will.  But I have to ask for what I want, because I the answer is automatically no if you don't ask.  Ash's patriarchal blessing promises her health, and that is what I want for her.  I want her to be well, and mostly I DON'T want her to have to face MS."

Ash spent over 2 hours in an MRI machine on Friday night, while I sat in the waiting room and, well, waited.  We (Spencer, Landon, and I) were heading to youth conference in Wyoming yesterday.  I made arrangements to not go so that I could be home when Ash got her results.

When I finally got hold of her yesterday, our Ash was an unhappy girl.  It gave me a fright.  I said, "OK, what's wrong?"

Ash responded, "Nothing is wrong.  The MRI came back perfectly clear."

Now, my friends, I KNOW that my prayer was answered (as far as the MRI is concerned) because of prayer and fasting.

I KNOW THAT MY PRAYER WAS ANSWERED BECAUSE OF PRAYER AND FASTING.

I am so very grateful!

2 comments:

Kim and Preston said...

What an amazing miracle! Those blessings of fasting and prayer are truly what really work. I need to get back to that faith...for miracles do happen :) I hope things continue to get well and that you and your family are well.

val said...

that's great news. is she doing better?