Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I Invented Braiding

I'm a blog-stalker--did you know?  My blog-buddy, Noelle, always puts random, funny, poignant things on her blog, and I wonder:  WHERE DOES SHE COME UP WITH THIS STUFF?

And then I remember the weird things that go through my mind.  Like this, which came to me while I was braiding Ashtyn's hair yesterday:

My mom learned to crochet when I was 5 years old.  Her first project was a tablecloth, which won a blue ribbon at the fair (no joke!).  By the time I was 6, it was fairly common to see Mama sitting with her crocheting.  Before I finally asked her to teach me, I played with a  lot of yarn.

One day I was playing with three strands.  And I braided them.  And I was so proud of myself for coming up with this amazing thing!  So I went to my mom to show her what I had discovered.  Only she was completely blasee (sp?) about it, and said, "Yeah, that's called braiding." 

What a letdown.  And then I thought, "Cool!  Nobody had to show me how to do this braiding thing!  I figured it out all on my own!  I. Am. Awesome."  (Okay, I probably didn't think OR say Awesome, because that word didn't enter my vocabulary till the 1980's--but you get the gist.)

And then I braided many, many long strands of yard, which I glued to a tennis ball.  It was a doll, see?

Gimme a break.  I was six.

2 comments:

The Vuki Family said...

Don't you find it interesting that the things we "Discovered" as children were just not so cool? Now when the grandchildren
"Discover" something it's like it's the beginning of ALL time!
Ruuuuude!
I know that you were DEFINITELY the one who invented the braid! Go sister! You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. :) I wonder, if I had invented braiding, would I be able to braid my own hair by now?