Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Updates

We spent the Labor Day weekend in the Sacramento area.  We rented a van, and we pulled out very early in the morning.  The van had a DVD player, so after we slept for a couple of hours, the kids chose videos to watch.  Fastest drive to Sacramento EVER!

We went to Dillon Beach for our official Hilladay on Saturday.  The weather in Sac was forecast to be perfectly HOT, so we hoped that that would extend to the coast.  About 2 miles inland, it was gorgeous; but on the beach it was windy and cold.  That didn't stop us from playing, of course.  I'll post some pix later.

Sunday we went to Sacrament Meeting, where we were greeted warmly by many.  We didn't know any of them, and they did not know us.  So when we would introduce ourselves as Fishes (me, anyway), there were mostly raised eyebrows.  One brother even said, "I have known the Fishes for 20 years, and I didn't know they had an older daughter."  I get that a lot.  That's what happens when you leave the nest first, I guess.

After Sacrament Meeting we went to Apple Hill.  It was opening day, and the weather was gorgeous.  I LOVE the smells up there!  It's too bad we don't drink, too, because all the vineyards were having tasting days.  I think wine looks beautiful, but the smell is awful! 

The first thing we did at Apple Hill was buy a caramel apple.  Very, very disappointing!  Later in the day we bought a pie to take home--it, too, was pretty average.  What a bummer.  But there were some fun boutiques, and we each chose a piece of fruit to snack on.  I brought home Asian Pears for my bosses at work.  And some for us, too!

Our drive home also went really fast.  Literally.  We made it home in 9.5 hours.  We didn't ever go more than 82 mph, but we also didn't really make any stops.  We got gas in Reno, then drove through a fast-food place for breakfast.  Lunch was just snacks in the car, and we made one quick potty break at a rest stop.  So we sailed on through!

We found everything good at home.  Brant and Laurie have painted the basement, and it really looks fantastic.  They have a home now!  We are going to go halfs with them on a storage unit, so I hope our house will be cleaned up very soon, too.

Yesterday at work they made some announcements regarding changes in the Physical Facilities Department.  I have not had such a crazy day in a long, long time.  I loved it!  Except there wasn't time to use the bathroom or eat--so I was extra glad to go home.  Today's been a bit quieter (on my end), and I've been able to get a few things done.

Ashie stayed home sick from school yesterday.  She still wasn't great today, but she couldn't miss today's classes.  I hope by tomorrow she'll be 100% better.  Ugh.  It gets so old!

We sold our car yesterday, and Spencer is on the hunt for another car.  It's better that he change cars than homes, I guess, but I swear we hold a record for the most vehicles owned.  :)  In the meantime, I am carless.  So I rode halfway to the school with Tay and Ash (and the others they pick up for seminary), and they dropped me at the bus stop.

I didn't have time to get my hair cut last week, so today is the day for that.  Woot!  I need it badly!

That's our exciting life.  OK, so it's not that exciting.  But it's full and it's rich and it's happy. 

I hope you are, too!

1 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Wow, oh wow! You guys are crazy busy but it sounds like lots of fun! Oh, and I am pretty sure that you guys DO, in fact, hold the record for the most vehicles. (I looked it up in guinness). LOL