Thursday, November 4, 2010

Daring to Dream

When I first started a blog, I wanted to make people laugh.  Never mind that I'm not funny.  :)

This blog has kind of evolved into a journal of sorts. 

My english teacher in 7th and 8th grade, Mr. McCormick, used to say, "Low thinkers talk about people.  Medium thinkers talk about events.  High thinkers talk about ideas."  I don't think I'm a very high thinker, but when something crosses my mind for any length of time, I find myself wanting to write about it.

So I'm combining this blog (which includes all of you, my kind friends, who join me even though I'm not funny), my journal (which often talks about people and events), and my ideas in this post.

The book I'm proofing is called "Dare to Dream" by Whitney Johnson.  Seriously, it's awesome.  Many of you like reading things you can chew on, and this is one of those books.  Make plans now to purchase this book.  It's empowering, it's thought-provoking, it's well-written, it's inspiring.

And I am doing a homework assignment right here.  I'm going to be "inking" what I've been "thinking."  These are some of my dreams.  They will take some time to realize, and they will not happen all at once.  I will probably "go on dates" with each of these dreams in order to decide how far I want to follow them.  Life will definitely take its own twists and turns, making it necessary to re-think and re-evaluate my dreams.  I may forego some dreams for others that are more important to me as time goes by.  But writing dreams and goals down is important, so here goes:

I want a master's degree.  I don't know exactly what I want to do when I grow up, but I do know that I want to be educated.  I also want to have pursued opening the doors that need to be opened in order to get there (wherever "there" is).

I want to act.  I don't care about being famous, but I want to be onstage.

I want to write and publish a book.  I don't know what my book will be, but someday I want to be published--preferably by a major, reputable publishing company.  I don't care about making money.  I just want to do it and do it well.

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."  --G. K. Chesterton

I think I can do just about anything badly.  I can only hope that the practicing will help me to eventually do these things well.

Therefore, I'm giving it a shot!

4 comments:

Amy said...

All worthy goals (in my humble opinion) I can't wait to hear how great all of these things turn out WHEN you do them all. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you're funny!

And I can't wait to read your book!

Jessica said...

You inspire me. I love reading your blog! You can totally reach any goal. You go girl!

Jess said...

Write that book. I promise to read and love it, cause I read your "book"/ blog faithfully. Cause I enjoy it, and you make me laugh :)