Saturday, November 6, 2010

Don't Worry

Taylor made it home.  At 1:40.  He's still among the living.

Neither of us (Spencer was up worrying, too) went back to sleep very quickly.  It was a very late night.

But at 8:00-ish we got up and gathered the family to head to Orem.  The plan was to help my grandparents do some home and yard work, mostly including doing some tree pruning.  Derek was there, along with Brant and their three oldest boys.

The girls and I got there a bit later, but we started dusting and vacuuming.  There was a large, empty box in the living room, so I was taking it out to the truck (where tree branches were also being loaded), when Spencer fell from the ladder.  He hit his head on the tree trunk, and it knocked the wind out of him.  We opted to call 9-1-1.  The emergency operator was wonderful, and the Orem paramedics were fabulous.  Spencer was coherent and thought he was fine, but we both understood that it would be better to have everything checked out.

Coming into the E.R. in an ambulance gets you first-class, fast treatment.  We were back at Grandpa and Grandma's in about an hour. 

Spencer has many scrapes, including a pretty good chunk of skin and hair missing from the back of his head.  He is sore everywhere.  But there are no broken bones, he required no stitches, and he retained his sense of humor.  The ER doc asked him where he felt the most hurt, and he said, "My patella and my rhomboids."  The doctor said, "Where do you work?"  And Spencer responded drily, "Boeing."  The ER doc and nurses and paramedics all got a kick out the fact that someone who worked building airplanes could tell them that his rhomboids and patella hurt.  They looked at me with eyebrows raised and I said, "That's nothin'.  You should hear him at home."

And that, my friends, is just how quickly life can change.  I am grateful that my sweetheart is not more seriously hurt and that our lives did not change drastically in that instant.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so glad he was OK.

Suzie said...

Holy cow!!! That is super scary...I'm so glad he is okay and not hurt too bad...sorry! :/
P.S I totally get you with the "patella" talk...Lorianne and Marianne do it all the time and it just goes over our heads.

Coles Fam said...

Oh my gosh, I'm glad he is okay. I'm also glad Taylor is among the living. I'd hate for him to leave this world already.
P.S. I love your background. I always want to steal them.

Kim and Preston said...

I am so glad he is ok and most of all that you probably made those Dr.'s and Nurses night...