Monday, November 30, 2009

Ten Days of Giving Thanks...Day Six

This will sound like I'm making fun of this gratitude exercise, but honestly! I'm not.

I am very thankful for heating, air conditioning, and plumbing.

Grandpa told us that when he was a child, in the winters each family member had a rock that they would place in the fire. When it was bedtime, his mother or father would bank the fire for the night, and each person got their rock out. The rock was placed in bed. Everyone would run out to the outhouse for one last trip, then climb into bed with their rock (and usually, 3 or 4 other children). He said that in the winter you did NOT venture out to the outhouse at night because you just might freeze to death if you did.

I hate to get out of bed at night, because I think it's cold (even in the summer) AND because nothing (and I mean NOTHING) should interrupt my sleep. But if I need to get up and use the bathroom for any reason, I have no need to worry about freezing to death.

Yesterday I was cold. This is nothing new--I will stay cold till April (if I'm lucky) or May. It's winter. That's just the way it is. Spencer tucked me into my nice, warm bed with my thick, cozy down comforter. Then he turned up the heat in the house a couple of degrees. There I drank my nice, warm hot chocolate, which I'd made from tap water and a few seconds in the microwave.

When it was time to leave for my concert, I bundled up into my coat and ran out to the car, which was warm within just a few minutes.

When the summertime comes, we will turn on the A/C in house and cars, where we will live and drive in cool comfort. We are most blessed!

1 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so grateful for this tooooo! I'm always cold. Always. I would probably use our new electric blanket in the summer (thank heavens we've evolved from heated rocks! I WOULD freeze TO DEATH!)