Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Own Personal Roller Coaster

I could get all metaphorical here, but fortunately (for you) I am not going to.

I used to be able to ride all roller coasters.  Except for the ones where they lock you in a cage and keep you spinning and/or sitting for a long, long time.  I don't do cages (which could also be metaphorical; but I digress).

There was a period of about 15 years when I did not ride a single coaster of any kind.  And when I went back I learned to my dismay that there are many rides which I can no longer do.  Anything that spins?  No bueno!  Even the up/down and speed stuff can only go on for a short amount of time.  If I go too long (ride after ride after ride), I am guaranteed to be sick.  And you can call me weird, but I don't like to be sick.

When Spencer and I cruise, I do okay while we are on the ship (although I do use the motion sickness patch).  But it takes me about two weeks before the world stops rocking.  It's kinda not cool.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started experiencing extreme dizziness or vertigo while I was at work.  There I was, just sitting there at the keyboard, and the room would start spinning.  It usually only lasted about 30 seconds, and then it was over.  I didn't like it.

Yesterday I started feeling tippy.  Not tipSY.  Tippy.  Like my world is tipping.  Kinda like on a ship.  It's almost a dizzy feeling, but mostly I'm just waiting for things to balance out again--like my center of gravity is off.

It's like having my own personal roller coaster. 

Now you can get metaphorical if you'd like.  Talk amongst yourselves...

1 comments:

Jess said...

I experience something that sounds a little like that on occasion. I was dx with benign positional vertigo. Something to do with your inner ears (google it) and I had a PT I worked with re-allign the crystals in my inner ears. I have had to do that a couple of times but it helped. Sorry that your world is tipping!