Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Living Deliberately

Briana got to call from the airport today.  I know I mentioned this already, but it was a pretty big deal.  Especially since I didn't know if that was really allowed, and then HELLO!  There's a call coming from Colorado!  Yayayayay!

We had such a wonderful conversation.  But I digress.  I wanted to tell you about Bri's MTC companion, Sister D.  Sister D.'s mom is having a really hard time having her daughter gone.  Sister D. is getting like THREE letters a day.  Every day.  She gets boxes of stuff every week.  Sister D's home is about 2 miles from the MTC, so she is constantly seeing people from school or the neighborhood or the ward.  And to top it all off, Sister D's sorta-boyfriend-but-not (whatever that means) teaches at the MTC.  Monday night, as they were packing everything, Sister D said to Sister Hill, "Can you believe we are 1/18th through our mission already?"

Bri is telling me this story, and she says, "Mom, I just can't think that way.  I mean, I've been out for almost a month already.  Sometimes it's seemed really long, and sometimes it's seemed really short.  But mostly it's just been about living happily while it's happening!  I don't wanna think about a countdown to get to the END of my mission.  I want to ENJOY every minute of my mission!"

Every once in a while there is evidence that you really did teach your children something, and I think that was one of those things.  Because while there have been endless days sometimes, there have also been days that fly by.  I've always tried to live carefully and deliberately in the moment, because all-too-soon that moment will be gone.

Today our daughter called us from the airport.  Just yesterday she was in 6th grade, getting ready for a class dance she did NOT care about.  The day before that she was wearing her dad's work boots and a dust mask that covered her entire face.  I'm so glad I didn't miss any of it by wishing for the next stage to come!

2 comments:

Coles Fam said...

I just love your daughter! She will undoubtedly change lives. Thanks for this post. It was a beautiful reminder (although, I still can't believe my baby is almost two).

Kim and Preston said...

That is so good to think about! Do not wish away your life, something to live by and good job for teaching your daughter that important principle.