Monday, March 4, 2013

A Step Back to Childhood

Yesterday our son gave the sacramental prayer for the first time.  He had to do it six times before it was correct.  He was very embarrassed.  But he handled it very well; I was proud of him.  

Today I got to play the piano in our Monday devotional.  I am terrible about sitting down at the piano, so every 3 or 4 months when it's my turn to play at work I start to get pretty nervous.  I went into the conference room early this morning so I could practice a bit before the devotional started.  Even so, when it came time to play the introduction, it was a massacre.  After two measures I just took my hands off the keyboard and said, "Let's try this again."  There was a collective chuckle; I think everyone was relieved.  It went better after that.

Somewhere along the way I learned to just do the best I could at the piano.  It wasn't perfect, but it was OK.  I can stop and catch up with the congregation within just a couple of notes if I have to.  I can stop an introduction and begin again.  I can just play the melody if nothing else.  It's still embarrassing, but what are you gonna do?

I guess Landon is learning the same lesson.  Maybe he'll use it when he's in his 40's.

0 comments: