Wednesday, March 27, 2013

One of the Ways My Friends Bless Me

I decided near the end of last year that this year was the year I am going to run a half marathon. 

I said that in one sentence, but the truth is that that word "decided" is more than just a fraction of a second word.  In fact, this particular "decide" took several months to happen.  I WANTED to run a half marathon.  I thought it would be COOL to run a half marathon.  I knew it was possible that I COULD run a half marathon.

On the other hand, I like to eat, especially chocolate.  I thought I was pretty cool without a half marathon under my belt.  In order to be able to run a half marathon, I knew I would really have to work, including running and not undermining myself with bad eating habits.  I knew that I would be busy with school and with work and with church and with family (as I always am), and in order to run a half, I must be willing to give up time on those other things in order to run.  Every day.  I also know that when you first start--and as you progress to longer distances--running hurts.  I'm not really into pain much.

So, in two paragraphs and several months, I decided I wanted to run a half marathon.  I started by jogging a tiny bit on my lunch breaks.  I joined a gym.  I went to the Oval on snowy Saturdays.  I lost some weight and I got up at 5:00 a.m. and I was DEDICATED.

But you know how it goes.  Now it's been 3 months, and I'm tired of getting up.  And I have a cold.  And my homework is piling up-up-up.  And I really want that cupcake.  And...and...and...

Today I had lunch with several girlfriends.  The daughter of one has been working for a year in order to be in shape for a competition (toning, but very like body building).  Her competition is this Saturday, and she looks amazing.  It has taken a lot of mental strength for her to do what it took FOR A YEAR in order to get here.  Her coach thinks she has a good chance at winning an award.

The former boss of one lost nearly 40 pounds because "It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it."

One has worked hard and is continuing to try to find her motivation to keep working.

I participated in the conversation, which was more about healthy choices and motivation than about weight loss, and suddenly I found myself thinking, "You know, I can totally do this!"  (Remind me of that after work when I have to go for my run, since I didn't get up early this morning.)

I'm really grateful for friends who help me remember to do and be better, just because they are there.

0 comments: